Friday, October 12, 2007

Low Gourmet






Wherein I celebrate good cheap tastes as I concoct and discover them. Low vs High on the hog. Champagne
tastes on the water budget. It came to me today with the sublime open faced sandwich which comprised dinner.

Tandoori Nan
Goat Cheese crumbles
Grape tomatoes room temperature
Fresh Basil
Anchovies
Drizzle of Artichoke Hearts


I warmed the nan to just before crisping in a 400 degree oven. I removed it and then placed a few fresh basil leaves on it and then sprinkled goat cheese crumbles, and shredded several anchovies to tiny bits. I put it back in the
oven and then dropped the tiniest of the room temperature grape tomatoes on it. I drizzled a bit of the artichoke heart juice on it, and made sure most bites had a bit of tomato and a tiny spark of anchovie.

This was delectable!

The fresh basil was part of the weekly give away, cast away from the gorcery store.
It was whiel regarding the Caponata and having a fabulous conversation about it with a woman with an italian accent!!!! a beauttiful moment in the grocery store where she shared her recipe and comeenet on each ingredient in the jar!... Anyway I saw the goy artichoke hearts in a jar and was moved to buy it mainly because it was far less expensive than the caponata!

The artichoke hearts didn't last the afternoon I bought them but the liquid in the jar seemed delicious and
I mixed it with the oil of the anchovies.

I considered making pesto of the basil and still may, but i wasn't motivated to pull out the blender

No comments: